About the Rhode Island Society of Environmental Professionals
The Four Committees of RISEP
RISEP has four standing committees. Ad-hoc committees are formed for specific issues.
The Legislative/Regulatory Committee responsibilities:
- Provides communication channels through which RISEP membership are kept informed of pending or developing State and Federal legislation;
- Maintains relationships with House and Senate members and committees to gain access/involvement of RISEP in the development of legislation;
- Reviews and presents comments on pending legislation on behalf of RISEP during hearings and comment periods;
- Holds forums for educating members of the legislature in environmental issues;
- Represents RISEP membership on regulatory steering committees;
- Builds relationships with appropriate regulatory personnel to ensure RISEP involvement in the development of sound regulations;
- Coordinates with other organizations with similar interests regarding regulatory rule making; and
- Develops a library of up-to-date regulations and regulatory guidance.
The Business Development Committee responsibilities:
- Arranges occasional social and networking events to encourage productive exchange of marketing information among peers and develop valuable business relationships;
- Solicits sponsorships to fund RISEP operations and functions, including academic scholarships; and
- Coordinates with other organizations of common interest to provide opportunities for members to promote business.
The Scholarship Committe responsibilities:
- Develops, publicizes, and administers scholarship process based on available funding; and
- Reviews scholarship applications and awards scholarships.
The Membership Committee responsibilities:
- Promotes RISEP membership to environmental professionals from industry, engineering, academia, the legal community, and environmental services in so as to increase membership; and
- Maintains a membership directory.
The Education Committee responsibilities:
- Communicates with other Committees to identify important regulatory, technical, or other professional issues in the environmental field; and
- Organizes professional development, training, or luncheon events that address topics of current importance and interest.
The Website Committee responsibilities:
- Develops, updates, and administers operations of www.RISEP.org
RISEP By-laws. The RISEP Bylaws detail the rules by which RISEP functions and operates. A copy of the RISEP Bylaws may be downlaoded here.
Proposed Changes to RISEP By-laws (November 22, 2013)